Guidelines & Specs for Print
Standard Column Widths:
Image size of full page negatives should be 10” wide x 21” deep. Billed page 126”.
• 1 Column 1.562″ / 112.5 points / 9p4.5 picas
• 2 Column 3.25″ / 234 points / 19p6 picas
• 3 Column 4.937″ / 355.5 points / 29p7.5 picas
• 4 Column 6.625″ / 477 points / 39p9 picas
• 5 Column 8.312″ / 598.5 points / 49p10.5 picas
• 6 Column 10″ / 720 points / 60 picas
12 col DT includes the 1″ gutter. Double trucks less than 12 columns (21”, includes the 1” gutter) x 10” require prior management approval. Please contract your sales representative. Advance deadlines by 24 hours.
• 7 Columns 12.562″ / 904.5 points / 75p4.5 picas
• 8 Columns 14.25″ / 1026 points / 85p6 picas
• 9 Columns 15.937″ / 1147.5 points / 95p7.5 picas
• 10 Columns 17.625″ / 1269 points / 105p9 picas
• 11 Columns 19.312″ / 1390.5 points / 115p10.5 picas
• 12 Columns 21″ / 1512 points / 126 picas
Tabloid Page Markup: Tabloid page is 6 columns x 10” and will be charged at 60” per page. Advertising more than 9” in depth will be billed at full column depth of 10”.
Tabloid Column Widths: Tabloid columns use the same width specifications as standard columns (see above). Tabloids will be produced on a 10” x 10” grid.
Tabloid Double Truck: 12 columns (21”, includes 1” gutter) x 10”.
Tabloid Double Truck Markup: Advertiser’s tabloid section will be billed at 60” per tabloid page. Minimum size, eight pages. Tabloid page size is 10” x 9.75”.
Camera Ready Copy: All artwork and printing material requires 100-line screen. Camera ready material (press ready) should be PDF files and submitted electronically through the AffinityX Portal adportal.
ROP Depth Requirements: Minimum space 1”. Variation accepted in 0.25” increments. Advertisements exceeding 18.5” in depth will be charged full column depth of 21”. For tabloid sections, ads more than 9” in depth will be charged full column depth of 10.75”.
Late Scheduling Fee: Insertions accepted after deadline will incur an additional fee of $7 pci. After deadline acceptance is not always possible due to newsroom and production processes that are subsequently put in motion. Fees will only be applied if the request can be fulfilled. Please see your account manager for details.
Late Materials Fee: Materials received past deadline will result in a $7 pci fee.
Cancellation Charges: Insertions killed after deadline will result in a $15 pci surcharge for the unused space.
Submitting Ads Electronically on AffinityX Portal
All electronic art must be uploaded through the AffinityX Portal adportal.
- Build your file to match the mechanical specs exactly as scheduled
- Delete all extraneous type from outside your image area BEFORE creating the pdf
- Include crop marks to identify the image area whenever possible
- Avoid the use of “Registration”-colored type. Type assigned this color will appear black, but will separate out into all four plates, causing blurred copy in our printing environment.
- Avoid the use of rich black- only use 100% black in fields where reverse-out type appears.
- All reverse-out type should be at least 10pt and set in bold sans-serif faces wherever possible.
- Sharpen and lighten the images using newsprint settings when possible.
- Use only CMYK images, with at least 150dpi resolution, and less than 300dpi
Bay Area News Group Logos
Click this link to download the latest logos for the Bay Area News Group print and online publications:
Mercury News: www.mercurynews.info/logos